Ultimately it all depends on what you are doing – an international ecommerce site, or a brochure site for your services business, will have very different requirements.
The following considerations will help you consider what you need:
- is your website going to be static, or simply provide information (but not advice, or any recommendations), without offering any products or services;
- is your website going to be for presentation of information, and allow user interaction, such as a contact us form, or posting of comments;
- is your website going to be offering products or services for sale;
- is your website going to be offering products or services for sale, and include a shopping cart or other method for customers to purchase those products or services;
- is your website allowing people to maintain a user profile where your website holds information about them;
- is your website actually the front end of a SaaS platform, through which you are delivering services to users of the website?
To obtain further information about Small Business’ obligations under the Privacy Act, please see the information provided by the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at: http://www.oaic.gov.au/agencies-and-organisations/business-resources/privacy-business-resource-10.
If you have any questions, please give us a call.